Thursday, 12 November 2009

Report on current project - Rank 1 Page 1 Google

Following a website re brand a new domain was registered in September 2009 - my aim was to be ranked on Google Page 1, result 1. This was achieved on October 27th 2009, just 10 days after going live.

How did I do it?

This was a full time - 40 hours/week - task.

First of all I used the Admin tool to optimise each of the main landing pages, from the meta title, description and keywords, to writing script for the actual page and matching the keywords accordingly.

Networking online is a huge opportunity and best of all it's free, so I created and maintained accounts on Twitter, Facebook, BeBo, Wordpress, press release and article sites and of course, blogger.com.

Once the site went live after a week of testing, I then launched into my social networking, also promoted the launch offer of a 30% discount code on an online voucher code site and got on board with an affiliate to work with us.

Google Adwords was already running, so I created several ad campaigns, each targeted with specific keywords, and wrote each advert to be enticing to surfers.

The site was verified with Google Webmaster, I changed address in Webmaster from the old to the new, installed Google Analytics and linked to Adwords to be able to report on ecommerce and how the Adwords campaigns were performing in revenue.

301 redirects were used from the old landing pages to the appropriate new landing pages, leaving the old homepage up with the ability to transfer traffic for all visitors with just one click.

Utilising the customer database of over 60,000 accounts, an e-shot was sent out in stages, to the most frequent customers first, and then to single use accounts secondary, informing them of the change of website address, and their account details remained the same. We also included a disocunt code.

Discount codes were different for every online promotion, allowing me to guage the ROI of each campaign, to identify the best performing sites for us.

Directory submission manually by myself went full speed ahead, yes it can be painful and give you a serious dose of RSI but once they're done, they're done. Following the first week of submitting, I decided to spend one afternoon a week in searching and finding directories as an ongoing task.

There was a competition launch which was another slant to the promotion, and free ringtones were created which was a great added bonus to shout about, this went down really well on My Space, You Tube and StumbleUpon.

The Alexa rating collapsed from 2 million to under 700,000 in ten days. Yes, that's right, 10 days! Orders more than doubled on a daily basis and everyone is happy.